Our values and mission
Our mission is to help people and organisations to flourish. We think that developing character, competence and our ability to build authentic relationships are more important than developing skills or charisma in helping people flourish.
- Every person is important and unique and should be handled with dignity. Race, colour, creed, sexuality and sexual preference have nothing to do with a person's value.
- Change is possible, but we all have limitations. Developing skills, new perspectives, values and attitudes have the potential to radically change our lives.
- Honesty, fairness and equality of opportunity are good social and commercial values. Without these values, organisational communities gradually break down.
- People are relational, physical, volitional, emotional, rational and spiritual. We believe that flourishing means consistently developing in all of these areas.
- Customer service is the lifeblood of our business. We seek to charge fair commercial rates and provide appropriate levels of service.
- We believe that creating wealth and sustainable human flourishing are both central to building great organisations.
- We value believable optimism and believe that cynicism and over optimism do not help human flourishing.
We have mentioned flourishing many times on this site. Below is our definition of flourishing. There are a few important points to note as you read this. Flourishing is more than happiness. We don’t believe we can be happy all the time- life is too complex and varied. Too much of what determines happiness is out of our control. However, we can flourish all the time. And if we do flourish we’re more likely to be happier more of the time. Flourishing is about focussing on what is in our control and not out of it, things like our perspective, our choices and responses, our skills and our character. When we focus on these areas of life we begin to shape circumstances more and create a better life for ourselves even though we may not be able to change many of the circumstances we face or the cards we have been given.
Flourishing is about continuing to engage with and experience life’s joys, triumphs, beauty and adventure as fully as possible, despite all the disappointments, disasters and difficulties that go with life. Flourishing is about working out our beliefs and spirituality through living a life of authentic and generous relationships: with ourselves; with others; with our environment. Flourishing is about purposeful and well chosen work, constant enquiry, curiosity and learning- it’s about being expansive in our approach to life. Flourishing is about never losing a sense of wonder. It is about developing a life that is founded on a robust, generous and vibrant identity and the lifelong pursuit of becoming a decent and mature person of character and achievement.
If you take away nothing else from reading our definition we hope it provides you with a sense that whatever you are experiencing in life at the moment there is hope for something even deeper, more fulfilling and richer.